The town of Kuala Kubu Bharu (KKB), also known as Kuala Kubu was an active tin mining area when it was established in the 1870s. Kuala Kubu was given its name because Raja Mahadi and his followers used this place as a fortress. However, after the British commissioner's arrival in the 1870s, Kuala Kubu became Ulu Selangor's administrative base, which also acted as a tax collection centre for mining activities. Jalan Persekutuan 55 was constructed about the same year, linking Selangor and Fraser's Hill, Pahang.
The current day KKB was established after the old town was completely destroyed during a flood in 1883 when the dam broke. The British relocated the administrative centre temporarily to Rasa town while the new town was being built. A town planner from New Zealand, named Charles Compton Reade planned the initial development of Kuala Kubu Bharu which was located 3.2 km north of the original site of Kuala Kubu by highlighting the idea of Garden City In the 1920s.
KKB is situated at the foot of the popular Titiwangsa Mountain Range and is well known as one of Selangor State's important water catchment areas. Kuala Kubu Bharu is possibly Asia's first garden township, designed in 1925 by the first British Federated Malay States (FMS) government town planner, Charles Compton Reade. The old shops built in the 1920s adds to the antique feel of the town.